Technical error: static.heapspace.io refused to connect

Hi, I’m a new user to MicroPasts and am trying to contribute to the Egypt Exploration Fund transcriptions. On the various project pages, however, whenever I attempt to contribute it shows some kind of an applet, within which it says “static.heapspace.io refused to connect.”

I usually use Chrome. I’ve enabled JavaScript in that browser and on top of that, put MicroPasts.org in the JS exception list just in case – but no joy. I tried running the page in anonymous mode in case an extension was blocking me and again, nothing.

I also tried Edge in case it’s a Java situation (I’m not a programmer in any sense, so forgive me if I confused JS with Java or vice-versa.) I downloaded the latest version of Java and again, tried the page in Edge with no luck.

I’m running the latest version of Windows 10 and I’m up to date in terms of system updates. I’m racking my brain as to what has gone wrong, and am absolutely stuck. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas so I can get going on the transcriptions? Thanks so much.

Hi Elizabeth,

I’m seeing the same thing. Many of these projects now come from individual researchers who host the resources for the project in different locations. It appears that the image cards for the Egypt project were hosted on this static.headspace.io page that no longer exists (the domain is currently for sale).

This would be something that has to be corrected by Micropasts.

If you’re looking for other projects to try, on the Projects page, clicking on any of the categories at the top “Ancient Identities Today, British Prehistory, etc.” will show you all of the available projects, which can be more than just the ones featured on the main page.

Hi Both

Thanks for catching this. Th pages were hosted by a third party for convenience, but it looks like they may have prematurely deleted them.
Am chasing now!

best wishes

Andy

This should now be fixed, but let me know if you encounter any problems!

Profuse thanks, I have just transcribed my first page thanks to your kind assistance. Best of luck with the project!